I am not saying that you need to read the same book and ask the same questions during every session. Your sessions definitely need some variety. Add activities that build on the vocabulary and skills you are teaching. If the activities work (sometimes they don't), repeat those as well.
And, if you are repeating activities and using the same theme for a longer period of time, you are planning less and enjoying life a little more.
That said, here are enough penguin resources to get you through at least three weeks of language sessions!
- A Teacher Without a Class has great penguin facts and photos on her blog. AND, free vocabulary cards (with definitions and pictures) as well as vocabulary activities - FREE at her TpT site. As of today, there are an additional 16 FREE speech therapy penguin activities at Teachers pay Teachers.
- Rumble Grumble Gurgle Roar at Nickjr.com; the story of a hungry, little penguin. Narrated by Whoopi Goldberg.
- Read Penguin Party, a story at lil-fingers.com.
- There is a talking penguin on the Happy Feet Two: The Penguin App who will imitate your students without inappropriate noises.
- We Give Books.org has five books about Penguins to read on-line.
- Perfectly Preschool has a nice calendar of preschool activities to go with the penguin theme.
- Check out Penguin and Pinecone, A Friendship Lesson For Speech Therapy at Play on Words.
- Choose your own penguin book and complete the Winter Speech and Language Lesson: Penguins! from Speak Listen Play.
- Find a penguin craft with visual supports / sequence cards at Chapel Hill Snippets. She shares a link to Penguins, Penguins at Tar Heel Reader and, on another post, is a version of this counting book in Spanish.
- You are not alone if you like Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester. Fun in First has some wonderful freebies to use when working on adjectives, comparisons, and complex WH questions. Wise Owl Factory Book a Day has three posts pertaining to books about Tacky and all have FREE downloadable activities that can easily be used with a variety speech and language activities.
- Penguin songs, videos (including Tacky the Penguin) and more on the app, Winter Animals Videos, Games, Photos, Books & Activities for Kids by Playrific.
- Download the free Penguin Memory / Describing Cards from Playing with Words 365.
Van Woert, Michael. Stuffed emperor penguins on display in the Canterbury Museum in Christchurch, New Zealand. 1979. NOAA At The Ends of the Earth Collection. NOAA Photo Library. Web. 1 Jan. 2014.